House Painting Techniques and Tips For Your Painting Project
House Painting Advice is a one stop resource of information to assist
you with your painting and wood finishing projects. There are many
different aspects to painting a house.
You may be looking to do some periodic maintenance, such as
exterior painting or staining a deck. You might be interested in
decorative interior painting so you can turn your paint color ideas into
reality. Applying wood stain and finish to cabinets or furniture might
be your pursuit. Whatever the case may be, let us be your guide.
Take the Pain Out of Painting
you hate to Paint? House-Painting-Advice can help make your painting
project a little bit easier. Who knows, maybe you might start to enjoy
Do you like to paint? House-Painting-Advice can help you paint like a pro.
Are you a Professional Painter? House-Painting-Advice can be a useful reference for your next job.
little planning can go a long way toward a successful painting or wood
finishing project. When we do not perform tasks on a regular basis, it
is easy to overlook things. Simple mistakes, such as forgetting to
purchase all the necessary paint supplies, can waste time and cause
unnecessary trips to the paint store. Not knowing how much paint to buy
can result in too much paint and extra expense. Has this ever happened
The Basic Steps to House Painting
No matter what aspect of house painting you are planning to undertake, observing a few basic steps will help to achieve a successful outcome. Before you purchase any paints, paint sundries, or tools for painting, evaluate your painting project for each of the following categories:
- Choosing paint colors and sheens
- Types of paints, primers, and paint sundries
- Tools for painting
- Paint masking and covering
- Paint prep
- Painting application
- Paint safety
Choosing Paint Colors
Choosing paint colors is an important part to any paint job. The color selection process is best served by following some fundamental guidelines. At the end of the day, you will want to select paint colors that will be pleasing to you as well as others.
Whether you are choosing new paint colors or maintaining existing colors, it is best to make color samples with the actual paint. Using a visual aid can help to avoid mistakes and disappointment.
Types of Paints, Primers, and Supplies
Determine which types of paints, primers, and paint sundries are right for your job. There are a wide variety of paint products available. Most paint suppliers offer several different lines. These typically range from moderately priced contractor grades up to more expensive premium grades and eco-friendly lines.
An extensive selection of sundries for paint prep and masking are also available. Because most paint sundries are designed for specific uses, it is best to familiarize yourself with the products before purchasing them.
Tools for Painting
Acquiring the proper tools is essential for carrying out any painting project. An assortment of tools for paint masking, paint prep, and paint application are often required. Usually it is a good idea to purchase professional grade tools for painting. Working with quality tools can save time and render better results.
House Painting Techniques
The three basic elements of house painting include masking and covering, surface preparation, and paint/stain application. Whether it is interior or exterior painting, finishing cabinets, or finishing furniture, good painting techniques will result in a quality painted or stained finish.
Always maintain good safety practices when working around house paints and painting equipment. Always wear the appropriate protective safety gear.
Repainting may involve disturbing existing painted surfaces that contain lead. Most locations have strict Government guidelines regarding lead paint.
Please visit the painting safety section before you start your project because safety always comes first.
Our homes are often our largest investment. Whether you are painting your own house or hiring a professional painting contractor to do the work, you want a quality job done efficiently so you can save time and money.
I entered the painting industry in 1981 and through the years I have seen the concerns that people have about painting. I decided to compile an in depth, useful body of information, about house painting, into a single resource that I could share with people.
I sincerely hope that you can use House-Painting-Advice to find the information you are looking for so that your painting project will be a more enjoyable experience.
- House Painting Blog
- The House Painting Blog keeps you informed about all additions and changes to the house-painting-advice.com Web site. Subscribe here.
- House Painting Comment Line
- The house painting comment line surveys homeowners about their painting preferences
- Choosing Paint Colors For That Perfect Paint Color Scheme
- Choosing paint colors does not have to be burdensome. Following a few guidelines can help you develop a color scheme that adds beauty to your home.
- Paint Samples are an Essential Part of the Color Selection Process
- Colors from a color fan deck can be misleading. It is best to create actual paint samples before making the final color decisions and proceeding with the painting.
- All Purpose Primer, Interior Primer, Exterior Primer
- An all purpose primer or a primer formulated for a speciific use helps improve the conditions of new and previously painted surfaces which are to receive new coats of paint.
- Eco Friendly Paint Does Not Pollute the Environment
- Because of the low or zero VOC content, eco friendly paint does not emit significant amounts of harmful gases into air. Low odor during application and easy clean up are added benefits.
- House Paint Supplies / Sundries
- House paint supplies or sundries are consumable goods that are used in the painting process. They are not paints, primers, or tools but rather all the other products for painting.
- Tools for Painting Prep
- Obtaining the appropriate tools for painting prep is essential to accomplish any painting prep tasks. Using the right tools saves time with better results.
- Quality Paint Brushes and Rollers
- Using quality paint brushes and rollers for applying paint is a good choice. Professional grade paint tools will save you time and yield the best results.
- An Airless Paint Sprayer
- An airless paint sprayer is designed to contend with all types of non-textured paint coatings ranging from heavy bodied elastomeric paint to fine lacquers.
- HVLP Sprayer, Conventional Air
- An HVLP sprayer is well suited for wood finishing and light duty painting. Conventional air spray painting can be used for fine finishing and production painting.
- Tool Planner
- Use the tool planner to help make a list of all the tools for painting that you will need to complete the paint job.
- Practical Interior Painting Tips and Techniques Lead to Great Results
- Some practical interior painting advice can go a long way toward producing a high quality and aesthetically pleasing outcome. Good interior painting techniques can give you an edge.
- Interior Paint Masking Keeps it Clean
- If there is a chance of paint, sanding dust, or any other paint related substance finding its way to anything you wish to keep clean, paint masking is the solution.
- Paint Prep is the Cornerstone for Every Quality Paint Job.
- Whether you are about to paint interior woodwork, drywall, plaster, masonry, metal or anything else, some amount of paint prep is probably needed.
- Repairing Sheetrock Damage is Not Difficult
- The normal wear and tear of everyday living can take its toll on drywall. Repairing sheetrock damage such as holes and cracks should always take place before paint coats are applied.
- Staining Wood: Wood stain and finish can add real beauty to your wood
- Staining wood is not complicated but skipping any of the steps can produce an unattractive outcome. Preparing the wood for stain is just as important as staining the wood.
- Exterior House Painting Advice: A Practical Approach To Painting A House
- Exterior house painting does not have to be a maintenance headache. Efficient painting prep along with good exterior painting techniques can help you get the job done right.
- Exterior House Cleaning is the First Step for a Quality Paint Job.
- Exterior house cleaning will remove contaminants such as dirt, spider webs, and even mildew that can create adhesion problems for the new coats of paint.
- Proper Painting Prep is the Key to a Quality Paint Job.
- Good painting prep will not only enhance the appearance of the paint work, but will also increase its durability. Make sure to prep it before you paint it.
- Deck Staining, Deck Painting, and Deck Cleaning
- Deck staining is the most demanding part of exterior house painting upkeep. Useful information about how to stain a deck can make the difference.
- Choosing the Right Painting Contractor
- Choosing the right painting contractor can be a challenging assignment. The cheapest painting estimate is not necessarily the best value.
- Paint Safety Equipment and Safety Practices
- Paint safety practices should always be followed, whenever you take on a house painting task. Remember that safety always comes first.